B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences
B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences (BPKIHS) is a medical institution in Nepal. It was established in 1993 in Dharan, a city located in Sunsari district in eastern Nepal, and subsequently upgraded as an autonomous Health Sciences University on Oct 28, 1998. BPKIHS is one of the largest projects implemented through Indo-Nepal co-operation. The university is named after the late B.P. Koirala, a former Prime Minister of Nepal.
The Institute is an example of Nepal-India co-operation. BPKIHS has postgraduate, undergraduate, and university certificate programs. It has four colleges: Medical, Dental, Nursing, and Public Health with a 700-bed Central Teaching Hospital.
- The MBBS Programme is recognized by the Medical Council of India and Sri Lanka, in addition to the recognition by the Nepal Medical Council.
- The World Health Organization has listed the institute in the World Directory of Medical Schools; similarly, the Nepal Nursing council has recognized the B.Sc. Nursing Program.
- The institute is being processed for recognition of MD/MS and BDS programmes from the Medical Council of India and Dental Council of India respectively.
About the Courses
- The MBBS program of BPKIHS started in 1994 is recognized by Medical Council of Nepal, India and Sri-Lanka. It is listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools published by the WHO.
- Postgraduate programs (MD/MS and M. Sc.) were started in 1999. All the MD/MS, M. Sc. and MPH degree are recognized by councils of Nepal and most MD/MS degrees (Anaesthesiology, Dermatovenerology, Orthopaedics, Paediatrics, Surgery, Radiology, Psychiatry, Ortorhinolaryngology, Medicine, and Pharmacology) are recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI) as well.
- The institute started a BDS program in 1999, which is recognized by the Nepal Medical Council. It is the only government recognized BDS program of Nepal. The duration of the BDS and MBBS Program is 4½ years followed by a year of Compulsory Community Oriented Residential Rotating Internship, which is mandatory and to be completed successfully at BPKIHS and its Teaching District Hospitals.
- Sc. Nursing and University Certificate Nursing Programs were started in 1996 and 1999 respectively.
- Sc. Medical Imaging Technology (MIT) started in 2001 and B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) in 2005, certificate in OT and AS in 2000.
- The School of Public Health was established in 2005 and runs a two-year MPH program. The M.Sc. nursing program in Community and Psychiatry Nursing started in 2008, M.Sc. in Maternal & Child Health started in 2011.
- An MDS Program started in 2011 in Conservative Dentistry & Endodontic, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Peridontology & Oral Implantology, Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry and Prosthodontics. MDS program was started in Orthodontics in 2012 but was discontinued a year later. MDS program was started in oral medicine & radiology and public health dentistry in 2014.
Admission to any of the courses is made purely on the basis of merit and those clearing the Entrance Exams. The Entrance Exams are for the subjects
- Medical Aptitude
Atleast 50% marks in aggregate in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English in 12th. The minimum age to apply is 17 years.
Entrance Exam Application Process
The application is completely online. Documents that you need to keep handy are your school marksheet, colour photograph, photocopy of passport/citizenship, and the payment receipt.
The application process will tentatively start in June 2016. Students must bring bank voucher/SWIFT transfer receipt at the time of entrance examination. The entrance exam will be conducted in Dharan and Biratnagar.
Join the best institute and embark on a platform of excellence in the field of medical & healthcare!