Economies are falling, cultures are mixing, countries are shaking hands for political and financial gains, our children know more than what we knew at our age, a particular set of subjects no more define a degree research is penetrating deep into every field, the battle for survival is become hideous and competitive; it’s amazing how Globalization has equalled itself to human’s survival instinct. Fortunately, under its umbrella the education sector is even proliferating.
Considering in specific, over 3 lakh students travel abroad every year to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate programs. There has been a 40% rise in the number of undergraduate students going abroad to study since 2013. It is not just their fancy open culture that attracts students; there are multiple reasons why Indians have been hunting for education opportunities such as:
- Lack of Quality Programmes: Indian education system doesn’t incorporate courses relating to less selected subjects and if they do, they are either sidelined by the University or are not recognized by National and International experts as worthy. For example, in social sciences and arts, very few courses with substantial material exist and is not offered many colleges or universities either.
- Minimal Encouragement to Research: Research has gradually evolved as subject of interest for lack of infrastructure facilities and financial support discourages Indian students. On the other hand, foreign governments and Universities offer funds, scholarships along with needed facilities and appreciation; encouraging students from overseas to utilize their resources to conduct research.
- Few Recognised Institutes: India is also a home to reputed institutes like IISc, IIT, AIIMS which offer excellent education and infrastructure but they are very few. Hence, when seats exhaust students opt to study abroad.
- Priority to Foreign Degree: Indian companies and organizations look up to an aspirant who has obtained a degree from a Non-Indian University. Therefore, the opportunity of an aspirant to get a desired job increases.
- Welcoming Environment: Universities abroad are enthusiastic in accommodating students from multiple cultural backgrounds. To avoid financial constraints from bothering the students, scholarships and assistantships are even granted. As a result, often students settle down there even after completing education.